Thursday, May 29, 2008

Are you a MOM?

Although multitasking is not exclusive to women, many of us, especially mothers, have become quite adept at it. The ability to multitask could mean the difference between surmounting obstacles versus being overrun by them. Which begs the question, are you a MOM? You know, a Master Of Multitasking? Extreme organization and forward-thinking are paramount to becoming a MOM. A MOM is analogous to a well-oiled machine. She can run a household, manage finances, run a part-time business, coordinate social functions, head the school PTA, take up charitable causes, and still manage to devote ample quality time for her family. The list goes on. To a degree, I strive to be a MOM; but mostly I am just a regular mom. You know, the kind with a perpetual To-Do List. The kind of mom who finds herself folding laundry at 11:00 p.m. while watching the late night news. The kind of mom who, at the end of the day, wishes she had more time to complete certain tasks.

If life were an ocean, a MOM would glide swiftly to shore; whereas a regular mom would dog-paddle through the water. We enter into motherhood without the imprimatur of any formal training. We learn on the job, gaining invaluable experience and wisdom along the way. For me, combating the effects of sleep deprivation was perhaps the most difficult. Combined with the baby’s crying spells and nursing around the clock, it was quite overwhelming. I was elated with my new baby, yet there were fleeting moments of despair. I can honestly say that being a first-time mother was tantamount to a deer caught in headlights. Fortunately, the baby blues gradually faded over time; and once I got my bearings (and a little more sleep at night) life seemed “normal” again and my world was turned right-side up again. I even found ways to do ordinary chores with a baby in tow. For instance, I found a way to cook while rocking baby in the infant carrier using my foot! I learned to wash dishes, dust, and vacuum with one hand while holding baby in the other.

These days, as a mother of three, my multitasking skills are always put to the test. At home, I bounce from child to child, activity to activity. All of my senses are on overdrive. My ears are tuned in to Joseph’s piano playing; my eyes and lips follow the words on Mary’s book; my brain is focusing on a math problem that Danielle needs help with; and my hands are busy stirring a pot or chopping vegetables. On the road, the children and I talk about anything under the sun and I am peppered with stories and remarks. My brain undergoes mental gymnastics as I respond to each of them as attentively as I can. Danielle says, “Oh mommy, there were French exchange students at our school today and everyone was following them around. Celeste gave one of them a hug (giggle).” “Did you meet any of them?” I ask. Then Joseph says, “I played basketball at recess today. But Jordan never passes the ball and it’s not fair.” “That’s great, but it’s too bad Jordan doesn’t pass the ball. Who else was on your team?” I reply. Just then Mary chimes in excitedly, “Mommy! Mommy! That man is riding a bike without a helmet!” And to this I respond, “Tsk, tsk, he really should wear a helmet, shouldn’t he? A helmet will keep him safe in case he falls.” It is almost like being in a Seinfeld episode, and I can’t help but be amused.

As mothers, we become a hybrid of sorts: part teacher, counselor, spiritual leader, cheerleader, chauffeur, life coach, nurse, psychologist, problem-solver, caretaker, playmate, and friend. The list goes on. In retrospect, I realize that multitasking has always been a part of my life with a few subtle changes. For instance, I used to read the newspaper while having breakfast. These days, I also read Mother Goose nursery rhymes while Mary eats her breakfast. On leisurely afternoons, I used to take up a hobby or paint my fingernails. Today, playing board games, coloring, and painting are our leisure activities. And just as I knead dough to make biscuits for dinner, I also knead Play-Doh.


It’s amazing how these subtle changes make such a remarkable difference in our lives; but more importantly, in the lives of our children.

Here’s another take on motherhood from the “William Tell Overture Mom”. If this is your first time seeing this video clip, you’re in for a treat. If you’ve seen it before, it is definitely worth seeing again!


1 comment:

Shirin said...

I am a mom! And sometimes I am a MOM! Everything you expressed about motherhood couldn't be more true and I see myself in every episode.... and when my children were young... I was always wearing pajamas.